Magic goals seal Division Two Cup for Wizards

Goal: Ashley Prior doubles the Wizards’ lead with a well taken goal

Merlins Bridge II     2

Hundleton     0
Second Division Cup Final

MERLINS BRIDGE SECONDS won the Division Two Cup as two excellent second half goals gave them victory over Hundleton last night (Mar 10).

The game was played at the Bridge Meadow in Haverfordwest and a good crowd gathered to watch the game.

Hundleton won the cup two years ago and they were keen to repeat that feat and they started the game well creating a number of chances.

They had the ball in the net but that effort was ruled out for offside as Merlins Bridge breathed a sigh of relief.

It remained 0-0 at half time and both teams were still in with a chance of taking the cup home.

Hundleton started the second half well and came close when Aaron Goldsmith shot from thirty yards but Merlins Bridge keeper Nick Jones made an easy save.

Dan Bryce then went close for the Wizards but he shot wide of the left hand post from the edge of the box.

There were also a number of tackles flying in and the referee had to step in to calm things down.

With just under an hour gone Joe John ran into the box and he went down under challenger but the referee gave no penalty.

Goldsmith looked dangerous for Hundleton and he went close again when he ran into the box and beat two defenders before shooting low across goal but his effort was pushed wide for a corner.

With 65 minutes on the clock the Wizards were awarded a free kick in a dangerous position.

Dan Bryce stepped up to take the kick and curled a beautiful shot into the top left corner to make it 1-0 to Merlins Bridge.

Geraint Lewis came close for Hundleton as he ran into the box but he saw his shot saved by the Bridge keeper.
Hundleton were then given a free kick in a similar position to where Bryce took his.

Marc Edwards took the kick but rather than opting to loop it over the wall he bent his effort round the wall but just wide of the left hand post.

With fifteen minutes to go Joe Buckle also saw a shot saved for Hundleton as they tried desperately to get back on level terms.

However, with eight minutes to go Merlins Bridge all but sealed the win as the ball was played through to substitute Ashley Prior who ran through before lifting the ball over the Hundleton keeper and into the bottom right corner of the net to make it 2-0.

Hundleton continued to look for a way back into the game and Craig Manning crossed into the box but Goldsmith was beaten to the ball by the Bridge defender to clear the ball.

Merlins Bridge hung on to seal an excellent victory which they celebrated with many of the fans after the match.