News Top News

Second soldier confirmed dead following Castlemartin tank incident [UPDATED]

A SECOND soldier has died as a result of an incident involving a tank at Castlemartin Ranges, and two more are injured.

Both soldiers were from the Royal Tank Regiment.

The incident happened around 3.30pm on Wednesday afternoon (Jun 14) and an investigation has since been launched.

Two  of the injured people are continuing to receive treatment in hospital. They are said to be in a ‘serious condition’.

Minister for People and Veterans, Tobias Ellwood,  said earlier today (Jun 15): “It is with deep sadness that I can confirm the death of a soldier from the Royal Tank Regiment who died as a result of injuries sustained in an incident at Castlemartin Ranges.

“His next of kin were by his bedside and we will be respecting their privacy before further details are released.

“Three other soldiers have also been wounded and our thoughts remain with the friends and families of all those involved.

“The safety of our personnel is out absolute priority and a full investigation is underway to understand the details of this tragic incident.”

Mr Ellwood has since confirmed the death of a second soldier. He said: “Our thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.”

Live firing was due to take place at the base from Monday until Friday.

A video of a Challenger tank at Castlemartin.

A Dyfed-Powys Police spokesperson said: “Dyfed-Powys Police can sadly confirm a second man has died following an incident involving a tank at MOD Royal Armoured Corps range in Castlemartin. He died at Heath Hospital in Cardiff on Thursday (Jun 15).

“This follows the death of another man who died yesterday morning at Morriston Hospital.

“Two men remain in serious conditions in hospital.

“All next of kin of those injured and deceased have been informed and are being supported.

“Police were called to the incident at 3.30pm on Wednesday, June 14.

“The investigation at Castlemartin is continuing, led by Dyfed-Powys Police working closely with Health and Safety Executive and the Ministry of Defence.”