Connect with us
Advertisement
Advertisement

News

Monkton protesters meet with Pembrokeshire County Council

Published

on

Shaking hands: Ian Westley and Charlie Price

PROTESTERS from Monkton joined together in Haverfordwest outside County Hall at 11am today (Jul 14) in hopes of meeting with Pembrokshire County Council.

Upon arrival, they were met by  the Council Leader, Cllr David Simpson, and Chief Executive, Ian Westley, who had a prepared statement.

Mr Westley said: “I wish to stress that we as the Local Authority understand and sympathise with your concerns.

“I am a parent myself and appreciate the fears and frustration which you all feel. We also recognise that this is an issue which is not confined to Pembrokeshire, but has been the focus of a national debate for some years now.

“I need to make it clear that the female with whom your protest is directed was not placed in Monkton by Pembrokeshire County Council or any other organisation, and is not or never has been a council tenant.

“The individual concerned, along with the council tenant, is no longer in the county.

“The tenancy of the council house has been surrendered. We are aware you have prepared a series of questions and are committed to working with you in this regard.

Ian Westley and David Simpson: Reading a prepared statement

Following this statement, several members of the group went inside County Hall and had a meeting where they had a chance to put questions to the council.

Roughly an hour later, the group returned outside and told the crowd that it had been agreed that the council would help them with legal advice and finding a solicitor who could take their cause further – with the intention of getting the law changed for sex offenders to stay on the sex offenders register for life.

Some protesters were unhappy with this outcome, however Ian Westley came out to re-assure the protesters that the council was committed to working with the Monkton community, and stressed that patience and trust was needed.

 

Farming

Deputy First Minister raises concerns over fishing funds and farm policy

Published

on

Funding formula and visa rules among key issues discussed ahead of Senedd election period

THE WELSH Government has voiced concerns over fishing funding allocations, farm policy, and potential labour shortages during a recent UK-wide ministerial meeting on rural affairs.

Deputy First Minister and Cabinet Secretary for Climate Change and Rural Affairs, Huw Irranca-Davies, attended the latest Inter-Ministerial Group for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs meeting on Wednesday (Feb 5), alongside ministers from the UK, Scottish and Northern Ireland governments.

One of the main topics was the UK Fishing and Coastal Growth Fund. Ministers from devolved administrations expressed disappointment that the Barnett formula had been used to determine allocations, arguing it failed to reflect the size and importance of the fishing sector in each nation or previous funding levels.

Talks also covered progress on negotiations for a UK-EU sanitary and phytosanitary (SPS) agreement, which could affect cross-border trade in food, plants and animals. Devolved governments welcomed engagement from the UK Government so far but stressed the need for continued cooperation, particularly around biosecurity and the legislative process required to implement any agreement across the UK.

Ministers also discussed the UK Government’s Farm Profitability Review — known as the Batters Review — and the emerging UK Food Strategy. Although these policies apply mainly to England, ministers noted they could still have implications for Wales and other devolved nations, highlighting the need for collaborative working.

A joint approach to banning peat use in horticulture was also agreed in principle, with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) expected to set out possible timelines.

Concerns were also raised about proposed changes to UK work visa rules, which ministers warned could worsen shortages of seasonal agricultural workers, particularly sheep shearers. UK Government ministers acknowledged the risks and said discussions were ongoing.

The next meeting of the Inter-Ministerial Group is scheduled for March 2026, ahead of the upcoming elections in both Wales and Scotland.

 

Continue Reading

Community

Timber, tools and tradition: Volunteers learn ancient woodland skills in Pembrokeshire

Published

on

Hands-on coppicing sessions reconnect people with sustainable forestry heritage

PENGELLI WOODS in Pembrokeshire was filled with the sound of axes and saws last week as volunteers gathered to learn the traditional craft of coppicing during a hands-on woodland skills day organised by Cwm Arian.

Participants joined staff and students from Cwm Arian and Coppicewood College for a practical session exploring sustainable woodland management techniques that have been used in West Wales for thousands of years.

Coppicing — a method that involves cutting trees near ground level to stimulate new growth — was once central to how communities managed local woodlands. The cyclical process provided a reliable supply of timber for fuel, tools, fencing and craftwork while allowing forests to regenerate naturally.

During the session, volunteers watched experienced woodland workers fell trees using traditional tools including axes, billhooks and two-person saws, before taking part themselves in processing the timber. They learned how different sizes of wood can be used for a range of purposes, from small sticks for bread ovens and riverbank stabilisation to larger lengths suitable for furniture or construction.

Organisers said the day was not only about practical skills but also about reconnecting people with nature and heritage.

One volunteer said: “The session was a real reminder of how our ancestors cared for the land. It’s incredible to see how these low-tech methods were not only practical but also sustainable — lessons that feel increasingly relevant today.”

Between activities, participants took time to observe the woodland environment, listen to birdsong and reflect on seasonal changes, helping to build a deeper connection with the landscape.

The event forms part of the CoedUNO project, a Cwm Arian initiative that promotes sustainable land management, biodiversity and heritage skills across North Pembrokeshire. Further volunteering opportunities are planned in the coming weeks:

  • February 25 (9:30am – 12:30pm), Felindre Farchog: Tree planting of fruit, nut and native species
  • March 4 (1:30pm – 4:30pm), CoedUNO Tegryn: Agroforestry site session
  • March 12 (10:00am – 4:00pm), Pengelli Woods: Processing a felled tree using billhook and saw

Organisers say the sessions demonstrate how low-tech, human-led forestry can be both productive and regenerative — offering valuable insights as communities respond to climate change and the transition to sustainable energy.

Cwm Arian is a Community Benefit Society based in West Wales, originally established through a community wind turbine project in Llanfyrnach. The organisation now supports homes, community buildings and local groups to develop renewable energy systems and reduce carbon emissions.

CoedUNO, based in Tegryn, is the first agroforestry demonstration site within the National Forest for Wales. Designed using permaculture principles, the site combines conservation, education and community engagement while supporting wildlife habitats across the Taf and Teifi catchments.

For more information or to book a session, contact Kevin, Volunteer Organiser at Cwm Arian: [email protected].

Photos supplied by Anna Mounteney.

 

Continue Reading

Charity

Recovery inspires new mental health support initiative in Wales

Published

on

Founder turns lived experience of addiction and crisis into community support project

A WELSH father who battled severe mental health struggles, addiction, and a suicide attempt has launched a new grassroots foundation aimed at helping others facing similar challenges.

Gareth Clement is the founder of The Grumpy Dumpty Foundation, a small Wales-based initiative created from his own lived experience of recovery and rebuilding life after crisis.

The project focuses on mental health awareness, addiction recovery support, suicide prevention, and signposting people towards trusted services.

Gareth told The Herald that the foundation began as a way of speaking honestly about struggles that many people feel unable to share.

He said: “Grumpy Dumpty started as a way of talking openly about the parts people usually hide — relapse, shame, early sobriety, suicidal thoughts, and what recovery actually looks like when you’re still raising kids and showing up every day.”

Health scare turning point

In 2022, Gareth says his life reached a critical moment when he was told by a doctor that his liver was failing as a result of alcohol use.

He stopped drinking completely.

He said recovery did not instantly solve every problem but gave him the opportunity to start again.

“Recovery didn’t magically fix life — but it did give me a chance to rebuild it honestly,” he said.

Since then, he has used social media and direct conversations to support people who are struggling, often late at night when services are harder to access.

Real-life impact

Gareth shared examples of people who have already been helped through the foundation’s work.

In one case, a father contacted him while on the verge of relapsing after months of sobriety. After messaging for over an hour, the man chose not to drink and later joined a local recovery group.

In another situation, a young man who had never previously spoken about his mental health reached out after reading posts online. Gareth helped direct him towards counselling services and a men’s support group, reducing his sense of isolation.

“There’s no corporate backing, no PR agency, and no glossy campaign — just lived experience, community, and the belief that if even one person reaches out instead of giving up, it’s worth it,” Gareth said.

Building hope through honesty

The Grumpy Dumpty Foundation is currently set up as an unincorporated association and aims to expand its reach over time, particularly for people in early recovery who may feel unsupported.

Gareth hopes the project will encourage more open conversations about mental health and addiction, particularly among men who often struggle to seek help.

He added: “If people can see someone being honest about their struggles, it can make it easier for them to speak too.”

The foundation shares information, personal reflections, and support resources through its online community.

More information about The Grumpy Dumpty Foundation can be found via its Facebook page.

Photo caption: Gareth Clement, founder of The Grumpy Dumpty Foundation, which aims to support people facing mental health challenges and addiction recovery (Pic: Supplied).

 

Continue Reading

News11 hours ago

Council tax to rise again as Pembrokeshire sets new budget

Schools and social care receive extra funding in 2026–27 spending plans PEMBROKESHIRE COUNTY COUNCIL has approved its budget for the...

Health11 hours ago

Stroke patients to be transferred to Carmarthen under new health plan

Withybush to provide initial treatment before specialist care elsewhere PEMBROKESHIRE patients who suffer a stroke are set to be transferred...

Health1 day ago

Health board confirms major hospital changes across west Wales

Emergency surgery centralised as Withybush role shifts toward planned care MAJOR changes to hospital services across west Wales have been...

Health1 day ago

Withybush loses emergency surgery in shock health board decision

Paul Davies vows Senedd fight as fears grow over travel times and patient safety PEMBROKESHIRE patients will be forced to...

Business1 day ago

Mounting complaints: More Computer Solutions Wales customers claim losses

Business owner issues legal threats and IPSO complaint to this newspaper while refusing to answer detailed questions about customers who...

Local Government2 days ago

Milford Haven Hakin by-election candidates confirmed

THE LIST of candidates standing in the upcoming Pembrokeshire County Council by-election for the Milford Haven: Hakin ward has been...

Crime3 days ago

Telecom vandal admits causing £33,000 damage to Pembroke Dock network

Fibre cables cut in early-morning incident that triggered major service disruption A PEMBROKE DOCK man has admitted causing more than...

Community3 days ago

Smiles all round for Pancake Day celebrations in Tenby

TENBY was filled with laughter, cheers and the smell of freshly cooked pancakes on Tuesday (Feb 17) as the town’s...

Crime3 days ago

Man charged with GBH with intent following incident involving ‘Pembrokeshire Patriot’

Defendant remanded in custody as case linked to police raids on Friday A MAN has been charged with causing grievous...

Business4 days ago

Svitzer crews at Milford Haven vote for industrial action in pay dispute

Union ballot raises concerns over potential disruption at key UK energy port SVITZER crews working in the Port of Milford...

Popular This Week